Family Fun - Sunflower Bird Feeder
Shining tall and bright throughout the summer, sunflowers finally have their last blooming days around September, to be destined for the compost or green waste bin shortly after. But one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, or animal’s treasure in this case! So I’m going to show you how to give the birds that much needed feed for these colder Autumn days, with a 6 step sunflower bird feeder idea.
You will need; sunflowers, string and a small screwdriver.
- Cut the heads off your old sunflowers once they are dried out and no longer full of the yellow brightness they once had.
- Remove the old petals and rub away the middle to expose seeds.
- Use a small screwdriver to put four holes in the head on opposite sides.
- Loop your string through these holes ready to hang.
- Hang the sunflower head from a tree or fence ready for the birds. For larger sunflower heads, you could lay a bamboo cane across the head for birds to perch on.
- Step back and watch out which birds in your garden enjoy their new sunflower seed treat.
- As we move out of summer and into the colder months our feathered friends are out looking for food as it becomes harder to find so this could be a vital source of food. It's also a good idea to leave some water out for the birds to have a little drink too!
The Skinny Jean Gardener, Lee Connelly, brings family and friends together in the garden with his fun podcasts and videos on social media.
Lee is proud to have featured on Blue Peter, BBC Radio 1 and Channel 4's Sunday Brunch. He has created a kitchen garden for TV presenter Jimmy Doherty, built a garden taxi for Kew Gardens Grow Wild Project and designed a show garden for the International Gardening World Cup in Japan.
You can listen to the Skinny Jean Gardener Podcast, sponsored by STIHL, every Friday morning from 6am. Visit http://www.skinnyjeangardeners.com/podcast/ for more.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING THE STIHL GB BLOG
Here you’ll be able to find useful seasonal advice from experts and guest writers, along with the latest news from the world of STIHL and the great outdoors.
In addition, we’ll keep you informed about our latest products and how to make the most of your tools – all so that you can make the most of your outdoor space.
If you love Christmas, then you’re sure to love indulging in a good festive light display, or getting into the spirit with a visit to Santa. In recent years, many gardens around the country have upped their festive game and... Read more →
RHS Chelsea Flower Show is the place to be and be seen in May if you are a keen gardener. Even if you’re not very green-fingered, there is still plenty to inspire you with perfect plants and gorgeous gardens around... Read more →
For the 14 th year running, STIHL will be sponsoring the ARB Show, and we can’t wait for the annual celebration of the science of trees. It’s the 20 th anniversary of the event and it looks set to be... Read more →
We began working with expert chainsaw carver Simon O’Rourke in 2017 when he joined us at the Arb Show to do a wood carving demonstration. For us, he was an obvious choice for a partnership as he is the best... Read more →